Can We Help You?
Reference librarians are always available to assist with all of your information needs. Please visit or call the reference desk at 781-721-7171 x320 so we can help you:
Book a librarian
For more in-depth assistance, you can set up a 30-minute appointment with a Reference Librarian for one-on-one help with almost anything. We can provide research assistance, help you set up an email account, get you started with ebooks, help you find an obituary, or even show you how to use Twitter. Visit the Reference Desk, call 781-721-7171 x320, or send an email to email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Technology in the Reference Room
- Desktop Computers and Internet: There are 13 Windows computers in the Reference Room which provide access to the Internet, databases, and some commonly used programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Saving files to flash drives is allowed. You must have your library card with you to use a computer. Visitors may request a guest card.
- Chromebooks, Macbooks, and Chargers: There are 12 Chromebooks, 4 Macbook Airs, 8 Apple chargers, 8 micro USB chargers, 2 universal laptop chargers, and 2 Macbook Air chargers available to check out with a valid library card at the Reference desk. Learn about about the Winchester's Library of Things.
- Wi-Fi: Free wireless internet access is available throughout the library.
- Printing and Copying: Black and white printing and copying is available for 15 cents per page. Color printing is available for 35 cents per page.
- Scanning: A digital scanner is available in the Reference Room for no charge.
- Faxing: Send-only fax service is available for $1 per page, with a 20-page limit, within the continental U.S. only. The proceeds from this service benefit the Friends of the Winchester Public Library.
- Magnification: A Topaz digital magnifier is available. This is an easy to use, true color magnifier that can greatly enlarge print or photographs. The Topaz offers 30 high contrast color modes for those with macular degeneration or other vision impairments.
- Microfilm and Microfiche: A microtext viewer / printer is available to the public.
Journals, Magazines, & Newspapers
The Library subscribes to a large number of periodicals which are shelved in the Reference Room. You can search the catalog for the magazine you would like to see by title or contact us with an inquiry.
Databases and Electronic Resources
The Library subscribes to a large number of databases that provide access to millions of newspaper, magazine, and journal articles online. We also have electronic resources for listening to music, planning a trip, learning a new language, and much more. All databases are available in the library and many are available from home. Please visit the Database Homepage to get started.