Located on the second floor of the Library, this collection contains a broad range of documents and published materials on the history of Winchester, surrounding towns, and Massachusetts. A card index of the Winchester Star and the Daily Times Chronicle from 1881 to 1986 is housed here as well. Access to these materials can be arranged through the Reference Desk at any time.
Historical and Current Town Reports and Documents are also available. This collection contains a number of documents, books, and pamphlets on local history together with current documents from the Board of Selectmen, the School Committee, Town Manager, and various Town departments and committees.
The Winchester Archival Center, located in the lower level of Town Hall, is maintained by the town as a research center for historical collections of the town and the Winchester Historical Society. Its resources are much broader and deeper than those of the Winchester Public Library and should be consulted for any extensive research on Winchester. Many of their collections can be viewed online, here.
The Archival Center collects and preserves materials that document all aspects of Winchester history and the lives of its residents; assists research into Winchester history by facilitating public access to the information contained within the collection; provides historical information to other municipal departments and town officials; and collaborates with the Public Library, Town Clerk, the Winchester Historical Society, and Historical Commission in promoting community awareness and participation in documenting local history. The Archival Center also maintains a helpful collection of Winchester history links, here.
Thomas J. Michalak of the Winchester Historical Society has compiled an extensive research guide to help with the study of Winchester’s history. Access the research guide by clicking on the links in the box to the right. >>
Chase Map Collection
Winchester resident Ernest Dudley Chase was described by Bruce Winchester Stone in The History of Winchester (1975) as a “sketcher and greeting-card entrepreneur.” Chase is more generally described as a graphic artist. He published The Romance of Greeting Cards (1926), the first complete history of the greeting card industry.
The collection of maps by Chase owned by the Winchester Public Library consists of 24 maps, some full color, some signed. His highly decorative maps include historical references, decorative borders, and architectural embellishments. Access to the collection is by prior arrangement. Please contact the Library to set up an appointment at 781-721-7171 x320.