Resources for Job Seekers
Finding Job Postings
Applying to Specific Jobs
Did you find a job you want to apply for, but you need help with the application? You can Book a Librarian. Schedule a free 30-minute session with us. We can help you fill out online job applications, or attach your resume and cover letter to an email. Call 781-721-7171 ext. 320 or email email@example.com.
Expert Help and SUpport
The state of Massachusetts operates 37 one-stop career centers that offer a selection of free and pay services including resume and cover letter reviews.
- Woburn: The Career Place
- Newton: Employment and Training Resources
- Newton City Hall, 1000 Commonwealth Avenue, Newton Centre, MA, 02459
- (508) 766-5731. Ask for Carolyn Shoemaker
- Newton is a satellite office, so not all resources are available here.
- Cambridge: Career Source
- Lowell: National Senior Network
- Provides job training and placement for people 55+ living within federal low income guidelines.
- This location is part of the National Able Network. It is not one of the state career centers.
- Wannalancit Mill, 175 Cabot Street, Suite B10, Lowell, MA 01854
- (978) 513-0500
Free online resume builders
- slashcv.com - Easy to use, one simple template, no account needed
- resumonk.com - Easy to use, 4 free templates available, free account needed
Sample resumes and cover letters
Get Help with Computer Skills
There are many free options for learning how to use common programs and websites.
- Book a Librarian: Schedule a free 30-minute session with a librarian. We can help you with most common programs and websites. Call 781-721-7171 ext. 320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GCF LearnFree.org offers a large collection of free tutorials including Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, iPad, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and many more.
- Microsoft Office Training - Official training guides from Microsoft. Offers help in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and other Microsoft products. Office 2007, 2010, and 2013 versions are available.
- Classic TypingWeb - Free keyboarding lessons for all skill levels.
- Gmail: Official gmail training from Google.
- You can find a longer list of resources here.
Researching Potential Employers
It's important to learn as much as you can about an employer before you interview for a job. Often, the best way to do this is to go to google.com and search for the company's website. Then look for the "about" or "careers" section where you can find the company's mission and goals statements.
Try Reference USA Business Directory for detailed business information including executive names and contact info, financial data, job opportunities, similar businesses, and much more. You will need a Winchester library card to access this resource.
You can book a librarian for research help. Just call 781-721-7171 x320 or email email@example.com.
Other Helpful Resources