Health Care Resources
Open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act, or "Obamacare", began on October 1st, 2013. We've collected some resources to help you understand what the ACA means for you.
Understanding The Affordable Care Act
- WASHINGTONPOST.COM - The Washington Post offers a series of articles on the Affordable Care act which are especially helpful at answering many common questions.
- SLATE.COM - "Obamacare Explained: Ten Questions about Obamacare you were too Afraid to Ask." An accessible introduction to the common questions about the Affordable Care Act.
- POLITICO.COM - An in-depth guide to understanding the Affordable Care Act. This resource is for those who want a deeper understanding of all the issues surrouding Obamacare.
- HEALTHCARE.GOV - This is the new federal health care marketplace. It's a great source for information, FAQs, and more. However, for Massachusetts residents, healthcare.gov is NOT where you'll purchase insurance. For that, you'll need the Health Connector (see below).
- MEDLINEPLUS.GOV - The US National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health provide this consumer-friendly resource which explains health issues simply and clearly. Health insurance topics have their own homepage here.
Purchasing Health Insurance in Massachusetts
The Affordable Care Act gives every state a choice. They can either join the national health care marketplace at healthcare.gov, or manage their own marketplace. Massachusetts has its own marketplace called the Health Connector. If you live in Massachusetts, you will use the Health Connector instead of healthcare.gov.
- HEALTH CONNECTOR - The Massachusetts health care marketplace. This is where you'll go to compare plans and purchase health insurance. It is also the home for MassHealth and CommonwealthCare customers.
- BY PHONE
- Massachusetts Health Connector Customer Service: 1-877-623-6765 (TTY: 1-877-623-7773)
- General Information on Mass Insurance Offerings: 1-855-624-4584 (TTY: 1-877-623-7773)
- 24-7 National Help Line: 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)
- IN PERSON