Board of Library Trustees Policy Manual
Commonly Used Policy Manual Sections
*Section headings refer to the Policy Manual linked above
Requirements for new library card applications
Any Massachusetts resident may get a Minuteman library card. (Please see age restrictions below.) Before creating a new patron record, the individual must present the following:
- Current, valid Massachusetts Driver’s license or Massachusetts State Identification Card with current address.
- OR, one document from Section 1 AND one document from Section 2 below.
Section 1. Proof of identification - current or expired (must include name and photo)
- Alien Resident Card
- Government issued cards, such as Military ID
- State issued photo ID including welfare, Medicaid or FID card
- University or school ID
Section 2: Proof of current local address* (must include applicant’s name)
- Utility bill or tax bill (dated within the last 60 days)
- Imprinted bank check or deposit slip
- Official school schedule with applicant’s name and address typed on it
- Official letter verifying residency and mailing address dated within last 30 days from a social service provider, temporary employer that provides housing, or a short-term residence
- Postcard mailed to applicant from the library
No longer acceptable as proof of current address: lease agreements, rent receipts, or personal letters.
*a Post Office Box or business address is not sufficient. A current residential address is required.
Out-of-state Residents who meet the following requirements, may be issued a library card with sufficient identification:
- Work in Massachusetts
- Attend school in Massachusetts
- Own property in Massachusetts
- Are temporarily living in Massachusetts for more than 2 months
Out of state residents must provide identification showing their home/permanent address. Property owners must provide verification such as tax bill, utility bill, etc for their Massachusetts property. Students must verify their status with school identification and provide their school address. Out-of-state residents working in Massachusetts must provide their work address. Patrons who are temporary residents (such as college students or au pairs) should be registered with permanent address in the secondary address field.
Children - Prior to Entering Sixth Grade
Prior to entering sixth grade, a parent or legal guardian must provide proof of identification and address and must sign the child’s application. A child must be at least 4 years of age and must be present at the time the card is issued.
Teens – From Sixth Grade through Age 17
A parental signature is not required if the teen can provide a photo ID and proof of address (see list of above identification and address requirements). If the teen cannot meet the ID and address requirements, the parent or legal guardian must provide proof of identification and address and sign the teen’s application. The teen must be present at the time the card is issued.
Additional Policy Documents